Our Country’s culture is “Atithi Devo Bhava”, and in connection with this, SASTRA has constructed a Bhojanashala at a cost of Rs. 50 lakhs at Shri VijayeendraTheerthaSwamigal Mutt, Kumbakonam. The Bhojanashala was declared open by Sri M.N. Venkatachalaiah, former Chief Justice of India on 10th July 2010.
SASTRA has constructed a New Building at Rs.1.25 Crore for Municipal School with 9 class rooms, a staff room and one common room and the building was opened on 2nd June 2013.
Teachers Day Celebrations
Honouring the Veteran teacherswith Silver Cups worth Rs.10,000 eachfor rendering their intellectual academic service to the society for more than 30 years.
Food Distribution to the Pilgrims going to Vaitheeswarankovil Temple
125th Birth Year Celebrations of Srinivasa Ramanujan
A State Level Quiz Competition on “Life and Works of Srinivasa Ramanujan”, was conducted on 20th Jan 2013.
Dr. Sumanth Raman, the leading quiz master, conducted the competition.
84 teams from 34 schools participated in the quiz.
I Prize: Rs 1 lakh for School & team (each)
II Prize: Rs 50,000 for School & team (each)
III Prize: Rs 25,000 for School & team (each)
SASTRA has always believed that the society in which it exists is a major stake-holders and it constantly endeavours for special development. This sense of social responsibility has won appreciation from the public at large and has encouraged. SASTRA to foster a life-long relationship with society. SASTRA has organized various outreach activities that have changed the lives of many people in its neighbourhood. Some of the outreach activities are:
- SASTRA sponsors the education up to undergraduate level for surviving lives in the tragic fire accident at Kumbakonam in the year 2004.
- SASTRA’s immediate relief has touched the lives of many families affected by natural calamities in Uttarakhand, Kashmir, Cuddalore, Chennai, Nepal, etc.,
- SASTRA offers rice, dhal and jaggery to the entire population at 5 villages surrounding SASTRA every year during the festival season of Pongal.
- SASTRA’s faculty and students are regular donors to the local blood bank. SASTRA enjoys the unique distinction of being the single largest blood donor in this region.
- Free one-year skill development programme for socio-economically challenged school dropouts.
- SASTRA has laid an approach road connecting Hajiar Street and Srinivasa Ramanujan Centre at the cost of about Rs.1 Crore and extended it up to BhanaduraiPathukattu Street. The road has since been declared a public road.
- SASTRA donated Rs.10 Lakhs as relief to the parentof the victims of the fire accident at Sri Krishna Primary School, Kumbakonam. Rs.10000 was given to each parent in the form of a Fixed Deposit receipt. Further, SASTRA has announced free education, up to undergraduate level, covering tuition fees and books, to one surviving child of the bereaved parents.